Black River Falls was designated as the seat of Jackson County in 1853. In 1872, Black River Falls became the first village in the state to establish a free city library. The new public library, located at 222 Fillmore Street, is the home of the Jackson County History Room. The Jackson County Historical Society is active in the historical preservation in the county. A new Historical Society Museum is located in the original Carnegie Library building, and another Historical Society building is located at 13 South 1st Street.