Jackson County trails open May 15 – Oct 15 and Dec 15 – Mar 15
Clark County trails open May 1 – Oct 31 and Dec 15 – Mar 15

There are many places to ride all-terrain vehicles in the Upper Midwest but the center of the ATV universe is the Black River Falls area.

Recently voted  the  Best Place to go Four Wheeling by the 2018 La Crosse Tribune Best of the Best reader’s choice awards.

What makes this area known for having some of the best ATV/UTV and single-track motorcycle trails? ATVers can ride more than 100 miles through Jackson County and an additional 135 miles through neighboring Clark County.

The trails take you through rolling landscapes and over pristine streams with natural beauty truly unique in the Midwest. Riders coming to the Black River Falls area will find 335,000 acres of public forest, municipal ordinances favorable to motorized trail riding, and hundreds of miles of designated trails – everything the modern rider demands!

There are several area ATV businesses and rentals are available. The Black River Area Chamber of Commerce has trail maps available and has a list of area ATV and motorcycle-related businesses.

Businesses welcome ATV riders, who have many options for weekend stays. There are more than 350 hotel rooms in Black River Falls and other lodging options including campgrounds, lodges, resorts and bed and breakfasts.

When you’re not on the trails, enjoy great local taverns, restaurants, unique shopping, breweries, wineries and a casino. New this year is a trail extension that connects with many Black River Falls businesses, including trail access to four of the motels.

ATV trail passes are $35.00.


Trail Access & Parking

Jackson County ATV Trail Access and Parking

  • On East 7th St., near Castle Mound State Park
  • Off Hwy 12, two miles west of Millston
  • Junction County Hwy O and N. Settlement Rd., one mile east of Millston
  • Ott Trail parking lot on Airport Rd., east of Black River Falls
  • Highway 54, ten miles east of Black River Falls, just east of Wildcat-Spangler Rd.
  • West Clay School Rd. near East Arbutus Campground, southeast of Hatfield
  • East Arbutus Campground, north of W. Clay School Rd.
  • Crawford Hills County Park, twenty miles west of Black River Falls on Hwy 54

Clark County ATV Trail Access and Parking

  • Oak Ridge Parking Lot, Hwy M north of Hwy GG
  • Rock Dam Park, Wildrock Park, Junction of Hwy M and Hwy I
  • Hwy 10 Parking Lot, on Hwy 10 one mile northeast of intersection of Hwy B and Hwy 10
  • Wildcat Park, Hwy B five miles east of Humbird
  • Hatfield Pines Parking Lots, two lots located off Bush Rd. east of Hwy J

Single Track Trail Motorcycling

Some of the best single track motorcycling in Wisconsin can be found in Jackson and Clark counties. The Jackson Forest has 28 miles of single-track (enduro) motorcycle trails. All trails are one-way and are accessible only to motorcycles. Trail heads are located at Crawford Hills ATV/Motorcycle Park. Use of the trails requires the purchase of an annual Jackson County use sticker. Motorcycle trails are open May 15-October 15. One of the finest motorcycle trails anywhere is the Knobby Ridge Motorcycle Trail, located eight miles west of Neillsville on Hwy 10 in Clark County. You’ll find 18 miles of designated motorcycle trails winding through the Clark County Forest.

Only street legal motorcycles, driven by licensed operators, are allowed on the Jackson County and Clark County ATV trail systems. Non-street legal motorcycles may only operate on the Crawford Hills ATV/Motorcycle Park located in Jackson County or on the Knobby Ridge Motorcycle Trail in Clark County.


All of the ATVs are also open to UTVs (Utility Vehicles). UTVs must be registered for public use before using the public trail.

Learn more about the UTV Registration, Regulations and Grants


ATVing and off-road motorcycling in Jackson and Clark counties are activities subject to the laws of the State of Wisconsin. Complete ATV and off-road motorcycle laws and regulations can be found at

County Specific Regulations

Some specific county regulations apply when riding in Jackson County and Clark County. For complete regulations for each county, contact individual county governments.

Emergency Contacts

Clark County Sheriff’s Department
(800) 743-2420
(715) 743-3157
911 (Emergency)

Jackson County Sheriff’s Department
(715) 284-9009 (Administration)
(715) 284-5357 (Emergency services)
911 (Emergency)